Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Sam's first research article published!

I received word yesterday that my first research article, "Merle J. Isaac (1898-1996): His Contributions and Influence on Music Published for the School Orchestra" was accepted for publication by the Journal for Historical Research in Music Education. The article is scheduled to be published in the Fall 2010 issue of JHRME.

I did not realize how long it took to publish a 25 page paper in a research journal. I began research on this paper over two years ago, presented the paper at an ASU graduate research symposium and music educators conference in 2007 and 2008. I then submitted the first manuscript in June of 2008, received word that it needed some revisions in October, turned in the revised manuscript in December, received word of its acceptance in February, only to have to wait another year and half to see it published. All in all, the process of publishing this particular paper will have taken nearly four years! Now that I know the system, I should be able to shorten the process to two years on my next article :o

I have enjoyed the research process since beginning doctoral work at ASU. I find it exciting coming up with new ideas and stretching the limits of teaching through research. I also have found writing agonizingly exhilarating, almost like auditioning for a musical group...or standing in front of a firing squad.

ST

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you made a blog! Know we can see what you guys are up too! Love ya and miss ya!!

    ReplyDelete